Saturday, January 26, 2008

Winter Fun in Juneau

I drove "out the road" the other day all the way to the end only to discover that the last 6 or 8 miles are barely maintained and I was driving on about 1-2 inches of ice. The parking lot at Point Bridget State Park wasn't plowed and had about 4 feet or more of snow so everyone had parked on the road. I snowshoed in a few miles and met some folks who were on the way out from one of the cabins you can rent. They were skiing but were towing lots of gear on sleds which looked like fun but a lot of work. It was a rare sunny three day weekend. On the way back down the road I came upon a beautiful sunset that began at about 3:30 PM and lasted for almost an hour. I took a bunch of photos since I'm still getting used to my camera. I played around with the cameras exposure settings in an attempt to keep the sunset from looking burned out. As I was finally getting the hang of it the sun had dropped down enough to send more horizontal light across the canal. It was too pretty to do justice with photos but I made a pretty good attempt I think.


This one is "downtown" Juneau a few miles from where I live. I stopped in for groceries after taking advantage of the sunshine and doing some photography. It was about 4:00 PM and the sun was still shining with blue sky and the moon was out over the mountains. I decided to take a few quick photos. I'm beginning to gain a lot more respect for professional photographers.

2 comments:

Lally said...

Beautiful sunset shot. As good as any "professional."

Hikermedic said...

Thanks very much!