Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Winter's on it's way


First I'd like to say welcome to visitors from afar. I've had people from as far away as Great Britain and Japan visit the site which is very cool. After enduring lots of darker rainy days we finally have some clearer skies on the way with plummeting temps. Today everything was covered in ice and I had trouble opening the fuel door to fill up my tank.

I've gotten some funny phone calls at work. A person from Anchorage called to ask me what she should do about the moose stuck in the Christmas lights down town. Apparently a bull moose picked the wrong ornamental plant to feed on.lol. It's supposed be down to 10 degrees this weekend with clear skies. Today was in the 20s and sunny which makes the outline of the snow covered mountains above the glacier look beautiful!

All this cold weather on the way reminds me of my move to Alaska from down south last January. It's quite a memorable experience to drive the ALCAN through the Yukon and British Columbia then through Tok and down into South Central AK. During one stretch highway they kept announcing warnings on the radio about a herd of bison in the road. Well I came across them and it was an awesome sight to watch such huge animals sweeping there furry faces back and forth to clear enough snow so they could reach the grasses underneath. Some were just lying around ruminating with steam coming out of their nostrils(it was about 5 degrees F). Anyway here's a photo I thought you might enjoy. I'll add more when I chance. It's taking forever to upload tonight.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dude!!
Great reading your updates, sounds like you are having a great time and working hard. Keep them coming!!

PS2134

Hikermedic said...

Thanks very much for the feedback whoever you are:)

Hikermedic said...

oops! My bad I just realized who made that comment. Great to hear from you. Say hi to the family for me:)

Lally said...

What amazing experiences you're having. And such great shots. Thank God there's still places on earth where wildlife have room to exist in a more natural state.

Anonymous said...

Outstanding as always! Though I don't envy the frozen fuel door, it's making me think of car talk on npr and the occasional AK call in about frozen this or that. Anyway, stay warm and enjoy the wilds cuz.
Caitlin
P.S. check out my store website, bare bones, but it's a start. neighborgoodslocalcreations.com

Anonymous said...

Your absolutely right. It's very cool that some wild places still exist. Until I got to Alaska I thought the only wild animals left in North America were all found in National Parks but fortunately there's a big push to preserve some wild places and the internet has helped get the message out to the decision makers. It's very important that we all understand the issues and give fact based opinions about the issues. Organized efforts definitely have impacts. Of course big money still has it's influence. There's quite abit of explotation of resourced going here in AK too. Crazy ideas like Pebble mine seem to be big here:(

Unknown said...

Hope your pack's still high! Sorry I haven't called. Lots going on here. Glad your life's ambition is turning out so well! Hi from the three of us and lol at not knowing who PS2134 was!

Farvman

Hikermedic said...

Thanks Farvman!Yes I should have realized it was him.LOL!

unknown said...

Wow...this is amazing. To experience different adventures and to see northern lights plan Northern Lights Adventure trip now.