Monday, October 8, 2007

Everything is big in Alaska


Sitka spruce trees can be over 700 years old in S.E. alaska. I thought you might enjoy a photo of me standing next to one that is ancient. It has10 "leaders"and is truly amazing. If you ever get to swan point off admiralty island in S.E. AK take a look for it but beware the "hot feet"(bear trails). That's what scientists call it when the trail is used over and over again with bears walking in the same foot prints over many years. This area is heavily used by brown bears. I'd never go there without making lots of noise, a can of pepper spray and preferably a rifle. lol Places like this make me realize just how small we really are and how amazing alaska really is!

2 comments:

Caitlin Hotaling said...

That's awesome!!! Does it get dark all day where you are? When does that happen? I've been joking about moving to Alaska but then my friend reminded me about sunlight issues and how I would probably end up killing someone! : ) Hope you survive it better than I would.
Caitlin

Hikermedic said...

Actually there are some swings in amount of daylight but it rains alot so it seems darker with the clouds. This years December 21st sunrise will be 8:45am and sunset about 3:07pm but that doesn't seem acurate for southeast AK. Barrow and places in far north get several months of sunset. In contrast the longest day this year June 21st The sun suposedly rose at 3:45 am and set at 10:08pm but the website I'm looking at is a little off because I clearly remember not even using a headlamp until august and taking sunset photos at about 10:30PM. You'll figure it all out when you come out to visit me:)