Sunday, March 9, 2008

Is spring on the way to Juneau?

I decided to get some exercise yesterday and so I went for a hike on the treadwell ditch trail up the street from my house. Hiking this time of year is different because we've had some warm temperatures with rain and then colder temps with a snow rain mix and so there's kind of a freeze thaw thing happening. It seems like "break up" is definitely in full swing though with the channel completely clear of ice. Since the trail I was planning on hiking goes up the shady side of the mountain and seemed pretty firm I figured maybe I could do it without snow shoes. That is until I got out in the open and broke through the crust sinking up to my waist in slushy snow.
After extricating myself I decided to change the plan since I was solo hiking and didn't bring my snow shoes. I drove down the road a place called "otter point" that I hiked in 2003 with my parents. It's a very cool walk through the rainforest down to the rocky coast of the Gastineau Channel. When I got to the shoreline there were hundreds of Surf Scoaters along with Barrows Goldeneye, Harlequin Ducks, Mergansers and even a few harbor seals swimming around. Most of the birds were too far for good photos but it seems like the migration is in full swing. It's been warm enough that there's even been reports of bear activity in parts of southeast.
The best part of spring though is more daylight. Even before we turned the clocks forward we've had longer days. Today it was light out at about 6:45AM until almost 7PM which is having and effect on us all. When I first moved here a friend told me that winter everyone drags around in slow motion and then when spring hits the "manic" phase begins. I'm already starting to feel it alittle although not as much as when I lived on the Kenai where the sun is out longer an even the Moose get stir crazy! I just figured I'd give everyone an update since it's been awhile. No photos this time.lol

No comments: