Thursday, October 4, 2007

Moose encounters

Hi Gang I just added a new link. It's called Fun Hog Fun Dogs and it's got some truly awesome photos of Alaska and the Anchorage "foothills", etc. I was out hiking the other day and saw lots of moose on the Powerline Pass trail. The blog has photos of where I've been hiking this week. I'll add more moose photos when I get back to town. I did see some amazing things I couldn't get photos of such as some guys off in the distance that were beating the brush in order to get bull moose to come very close for photos! There were about 8 people crowding around four wild bulls that were at times only about 30 feet away. A key point here is that the only reason they could call them in is that it's during the rut. I watched two huge bulls push each other around for about 2 minutes. These guys were being very foolish. It's one thing to call them in while hunting but it's another to get that close to a bull moose that's looking for a cow and may think of people as a nuisance. The day before I got a photo of a woman walking her dog(which a moose thinks of as a predator...wolves eat moose) and she got tired of waiting for a huge cow with a calf and decided to walk by with her dog frothing at the mouth! People are amazing. These moose are obviously very habituated but just picture an animal the size of a horse(actually bigger) with a show plow on it's head getting really annoyed and you realize what could happen.lol I'll try to ad more photos within the next few days. Alaska is amazing but there's way more people who are earning the darwin awards than I thought there would be.lol

No comments: